Neighborhood Preservation Initiative (NPI)
The Neighborhood Preservation Initiative invests in programs that expand and protect affordable housing options, keep Philadelphia owners and renters in their homes, improve housing quality, and promote homeownership. Additionally, NPI will support the creation and expansion of programs for commercial corridors and will address infrastructure needs of neighborhoods.
The NPI Year 1 Program Statement and Budget for the first $100 million bond was signed by Mayor Kenney on October 20, 2021.
The NPI Dashboard tracks our NPI spending and how we are impacting communities across the city.
How does NPI work for you?
NPI provides administrative costs and funding for the following programs:
- Adaptive Modifications Program (AMP): Free adaptations to give people with disabilities easier access to and mobility within the home.
- Basic System Repair Program (BSRP): Free emergency repairs to fix roofing and major home systems.
- Eviction Prevention: Supports the Eviction Diversion Program (EDP) which funds housing counseling, legal services, and mediation sessions for tenants and landlords to keep tenants in their homes and avoid eviction proceedings. If you are facing eviction, please encourage your landlord to visit the Eviction Diversion website.
- Housing Preservation: Supplements existing programs that preserve housing developments funded through Low-Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC). If you are a developer interested in participating, please visit the DHCD website and click on Contracting/Opportunities.
- Housing Production: Supports Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) development projects. If you are a developer interested in participating, please visit the DHCD website and click on Contracting/Opportunities.
- Neighborhood Commercial Corridor: Provides grants, loans, and technical assistance for small businesses and local community development corporations (CDCs).
- Neighborhood Infrastructure Improvement Program (NIIP): Funds stabilization of retaining walls that pose a public safety concern and removal of dangerous trees in common alley ways.
- Permanent Homeless Housing: Creates permanent housing options for previously homeless individuals and families. For more information, please visit the City’s Office of Homeless Services.
- Philly First Home (PFH): Down payment and closing cost assistance for first-time homebuyers.
- Shallow Rent Assistance: Supports the PHLhousing + guaranteed income pilot program.
- Small Landlord Loans and Working Capital: Forgivable loans small landlords can use to make property repairs and maintain affordability.
- Tangled Title: Free legal assistance for homeowners to resolve tangled title issues.
- Turn the Key: Develops affordable housing for up to 1,000 Philadelphia families.
Download the NPI flyer 12 21 2022 and NPI flyer Spanish 12 21 2022