Philly First Home is no longer accepting new potential homeowners into the program. Homebuyers with an agreement of sale dated August 26, 2020 or earlier will be able to complete the process and have funding applied to the purchase of the home at closing. Although closing can take place after September 11, 2020, the buyer and seller must have agreed on a closing date by September 11, 2020.
The City of Philadelphia wants you to be a successful homeowner!
We are offering a homebuyer assistance grant of up to $10,000 (or 6% of the home’s purchase price, whichever is lower) to assist first-time homebuyers reduce the principal, cover down payment and loan closing costs.
To be eligible you must complete a FREE City-funded homeownership counseling program before you sign an Agreement of Sale. Homeownership counseling successfully prepares borrowers for this big life decision. In homeownership counseling, you will learn about:
- Purchasing a home within your budget
- Avoiding dangerous mortgages
- Rights and responsibilities of homeowners
- Mortgage application/purchase processes
- Improving credit, credit repair and credit maintenance
- Money management
- Home maintenance
- Avoiding foreclosure
- Deeds and other legal housing documents
What type of property is eligible?
The property must be a single-family home or duplex located in Philadelphia (no condominiums).
Who is eligible?
- You must be a first-time buyer*
- You must complete one-on-one homeownership counseling through a City-funded housing counseling agency before signing an Agreement of Sale.
- You must be income eligible (see chart).
How Do I Apply?
Contact a City-funded housing counseling agency. They will need:
- Total annual family income
- Source of that income (employment, SSI, DPA, etc.)
- Number of family members who will live in the house
* or have not owned a home in the past three years.
Income is calculated using gross income for all members of the family who will live in the home.
For additional housing information, visit www.phila.gov/dhcd or call 215-686-9749.