What is the Basic Systems Repair Program?
The Basic Systems Repair Program (BSRP) provides free repairs to correct electrical, plumbing, heating, structural and roofing emergencies in eligible owner-occupied homes in Philadelphia.
What types of emergencies are eligible?
You can apply for free major systems repairs if your home’s problems include:
- Dangerous electrical conditions, such as overheating or sparking wiring or entire circuits that won’t stay on
- Leaking or broken sewer lines
- Leaking or broken water service lines
- Violations from the Water Department, Philadelphia Gas Works, PECO or Philadelphia L&I
- Roof leaks which have caused a 4 sq. ft. or larger section of ceiling to collapse (Small roof leaks are not considered emergencies)
- Structural repairs to exterior walls of home (Brick pointing and stucco are not considered emergencies)
Note: All hazardous conditions must be resolvable within grant limits in order for any work to be performed.
What if my heater needs to be repaired?
The Heater Hotline provides free emergency heater repairs for eligible households. If the Heater Hotline staff determine that your heater needs to be replaced, they will forward your application to BSRP.
To apply for heater repairs only, call the Heater Hotline at 215-568-7190.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for free emergency repairs you must:
♦ Own and live in the single-family house with the problem
♦ Be current or under current payment agreement for both your property taxes and your water bill
♦ Meet the income guidelines
♦ Not own any other residential property
How do I apply?
The first step in receiving PHDC services is to complete an Application Form. You may
- Complete and submit online an Application Form
- Download an Application Form and return it to PHDC by US Mail to:
PHDC, 1234 Market St., 17th Floor,
Philadelphia, PA 19107
attn: B. Abdullahi
- Speak to a PHDC operator by telephone at 215-448-2160, Monday through Thursday from 9am until 4pm, and Friday 9am-Noon. Hearing impaired persons only call TDD at 215-448-2184.
You will need to provide the following information:
- Total gross annual household income (before taxes)
- Source of that income (employment, SSI, DPA, etc.)
- Number of people in your household
You will need to submit proof of your emergency before your case will be accepted. Proof can be:
- Violation notice from L & I
- Notice of defect from water department
- Heater “tag” or notice of defect from PGW
- Clear photos showing damage to ceiling from roof leak
- Photos showing accumulation of sewage in basement from plumbing leak
Income is calculated using gross income for all members of the household.
To see what repairs BSRP does and does not cover click on the image below to view an ebook or download the BSRP Basics Brochure