If you live next to a vacant lot owned by a public agency you may be able to buy it for a side or rear yard. The image above shows the process you will go through to apply to buy a side or rear yard. Start the process below. You can download the Side or Rear Yard Flyer July 2022.
The buyer must:
- Own and live in the property next to the vacant lot
- Owner must be named on the deed to his/her residence to be eligible. Check listing at https://property.phila.gov/
- Pay closing costs to buy the lot
- Maintain the lot after the purchase
The public property must:
- Be vacant without any structure on it
- Touch the buyer’s property on the side or the back
Find out if the vacant lot next to your house is publicly owned and if you’re eligible to buy it!