PHDC’s Home Improvement Programs use small contractors to make home repairs for Philadelphia residents. All contractors must meet PHDC’s requirements (see “Become a PHDC Contractor” below). Home improvement contractors may also be interested in PHDC Construction RFPs.
RFQ for Home Improvement Programs
This Request for Qualifications (“RFQ”) provides interested contractors with the information required to prepare and submit qualifications for consideration by the Philadelphia Housing Development Corporation (“PHDC”) to satisfy the need for home rehabilitation services, accessibility modifications and asthma trigger reductions (collectively, “improvements”) to be provided to the homes of low-income households in Philadelphia. Improvements will be paid for by grants under the following programs (collectively, “Home Improvement Programs” or “HIP”):
- Basic Systems Repair Program (“BSRP”)
- Adaptive Modifications Program (“AMP”)
- Targeted Housing Preservation Programs (“THPP”)
Recipients of HIP grants will be the customers of the contractors selected to participate in the programs and the only remedies of all such homeowners for claims relating to any such improvements shall exclude any against PHDC and instead be limited to those against selected contractors that perform work in their homes under one or more of the programs, as well as any of their subcontractors, representatives, agents, directors, officers, partners or employees.
Contracts will be offered for 12-month periods with the option for two one-year renewals at PHDC’s discretion.
Typical Home Improvement Programs grant reimbursements for work performed by contractors range from $2,000 to $15,000 per property.
PHDC will select qualified contractors to perform work under HIP in the following trades:
- general contracting (multiple trades)
- mechanical equipment (wheelchair lifts, elevators and stairway elevators)
- asbestos remediation
Responses to this RFQ will be accepted on an ongoing basis with PHDC response in approximately three months after receipt. See table below for schedule.
|RFQ Due Date||PHDC Response
(no later than)
Contractors may call with questions or schedule appointments with PHDC staff to resolve RFQ response preparation questions. Appointments must be requested in advance by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please download and complete the following document:
Become a PHDC Contractor
PHDC hires quality contractors to do quality work. To receive one of our contracts your company must meet some basic requirements:
- Three years in business under your existing corporate name
- Three years of experience in the trade for which you are applying
- $1,000,000 general liability insurance
- $1,000,000 automobile liability insurance
- Statutory limits of workers’ compensation insurance
- Current PA Home Improvement Contractor registration
- Current EPA Lead Safe Firm and Renovator certificates
- Current City of Philadelphia trade license
- Current City of Philadelphia Commercial Activity license
- No indebtedness to the City of Philadelphia for real estate taxes, water/sewer charges, business taxes or employer taxes
Equal opportunity is important to PHDC. Minority, woman or disabled-owned firms are encouraged to respond to PHDC contracting opportunities. The City of Philadelphia’s Office of Economic Opportunity has more information on becoming a certified business.
Becoming a certified minority, woman or disabled-owned firm is not just about receiving a contract from PHDC. PHDC prime contractors must meet certain MBE/WBE/DSBE purchasing, subcontracting and hiring goals. Becoming a certified business benefits businesses looking for work and prime contractors working to meet these goals.